This blog started during the process of adopting our daughter, Camellia, from China. The title comes from many, many months of selling Pandora-style bracelets to help fund her adoption. Camellia came home just before Thanksgiving, on November 18th of 2012. We are now using this site to keep our supporters updated on Camellia's progress, as well as sharing updates on our older three children, Jack, Ian, and Chloe. God has richly blessed our family, and we invite you to look through this window into our lives.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Go


In 2012 our world changed and our hearts grew as we found one of the sweetest little treasures that God had hidden away for us a half a world away. What a blessing Camellia has been in our lives. I can’t imagine life without her now, and I can’t possibly imagine what would have happened had Nicki and I not followed God’s calling to adopt.



Fast forward almost two years and in 2014, Nicki and I hear the Lord speak a simple word to us, “Go.” Admittedly, I had heard and resisted these words for some time. I originally thought God calling for us to “Go” was to simply go and get Camellia. However, shortly after bringing her home I knew “Go” meant something else. 

It is strange how a simple word will change so much for us. But Go we must. I knew following God’s plan for us would take me out of my comfort zone and challenge me in ways I could never possibly imagine. I also know that by following God’s plan will most importantly put the kids where God wants them to be. That place is where he can use them to bless and teach generations to come. Genesis 12:1 “Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee.”

As a result of this call to Go, Nicki and our four little prayer warriors began praying every day for God’s direction. All while I struggled with a restlessness in my heart to open up and accept where God was leading us. Throughout the summer, we cleaned the house, manicured and prepped the yard (which is a daunting task at our place) and finally posted our house for sale by owner. Just posting the sign in the yard was hard to do. Nicki and I didn’t feel like telling anyone and quite frankly, posting the house for sale by owner was my way of having my cake and eating it too. I could stick the sign in the front yard knowing I followed God’s plan and all while thinking in the back of my mind, there’s no way someone will buy our house quickly and we won’t have to Go for at least another year. One thing I’ve learned is that when you have four children and such a wonderful praying wife, God listens..

Meanwhile, an unknown family of five is soon to be a family of six. They had everything all set, they had sold their little home and were getting ready to move to a bigger home to welcome their fourth child in. On the day of closing on their new home they get the word that their dreams for that home had been lost. The homeowner had backed out in the last hour. Desperate to find a home, a different praying wife, drops her husband and 3 kids off on a Sunday morning at church. Now five months pregnant, she tells her husband that while he is leading worship, she is going to find a house today. She sits in her car in the parking lot of their church and asks God to find her the right house. 

It was a beautiful August Sunday morning, I had just returned home from a conference in San Diego, California. As I looking out the window I notice a young woman in a mini-van drive slowly by our house and stop at the for sale sign to jot down our number. She sat in her van for a moment and just stared at our house. She finally drove on her way. A few hours later, our phone rings. Nicki answers the phone and speaks to a young lady who is curious about the house. The two ladies have connected and they schedule a showing for the next day. 

I could write an entire blog about what happens in a house of 4 children about to be shown to a potential buyer (Insert disclaimer: no person or animals were harmed in the cleaning of the house). 

 Ultimately the kids all did their best and the house looked amazing. In fact, so amazing that upon seeing the house, we received an acceptable offer. The couple desperate to find a home fell in love with our place. It was hard to believe it was happening so fast for our family, and hard to believe it was taking so long to finally be able settle down for their family. But according to God’s plan everything was happening at the perfect moment. Supporting my first lesson, If you have multiple wives and children praying, God listens…

So now without a doubt, it is my turn to listen. So I prepare to “Go.” But where? Since before Camellia came home, God has been giving us signs and they all point to Colorado. Starting with a restlessness in our hearts, to years ago Jack telling his Mommy that when he grows up he is going to be a pastor in Colorado. There were many more signs that pointed us to Colorado, but it is clear that God has prepared a way for us. Just like our adoption, God has provided exactly what we needed at the right time. As I write this, I am currently on a flight from Akron to Denver to meet with a realtor to help us find housing somewhere between Denver and Colorado Springs. 

There is much excitement in finding a new house. The kids are excited for a new adventure, Nicki and I are excited in finding God’s plan. At the same time, it has been very difficult telling the family we were moving knowing what we are leaving behind. In fact, one of the most difficult things I’ve had to do. As painful as it was to hear, the first thing I remember my Mom telling me was: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11.  

This weeks journey is only just the beginning. God’s plan has been to show his glory and grace through his unfailing love. While we hold onto every promise God has made us we will watch and see and we will be amazed. (Glorious Unfolding by Steven Curtis Chapman)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Father's Poem

A Father's Poem