This blog started during the process of adopting our daughter, Camellia, from China. The title comes from many, many months of selling Pandora-style bracelets to help fund her adoption. Camellia came home just before Thanksgiving, on November 18th of 2012. We are now using this site to keep our supporters updated on Camellia's progress, as well as sharing updates on our older three children, Jack, Ian, and Chloe. God has richly blessed our family, and we invite you to look through this window into our lives.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

China Trip for Camellia Day one



China Trip for Camellia Day one 11/2/12.

My day began at 3:20am, Nicki and the kids dropped me off at CAK at 4:00, I got checked in, said goodby and went through security and haven't slept since! As the statistics go, the current time is 3:58 in my current time zone. It is 7:58 at home for Nicki and the kids in Ohio. We are just now beginning our trip over the Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea, after leaving our Flight across Alaska.

 As a result, I should cross the International date line in an hour. I’m assuming that I am about ½ through the trip as I have been on this plane for 6:38  This seems to be the longest day I've ever experienced. I was on the first plane in CAK at 5:30am.

Unfortunately, my plane boarded in Chicago before I had a chance to meet up with Joe Aull. Probably missed each other by less than 5 minutes. Airplane is comfortable and the waitresses gave us slippers, pillows and blankets. The seats have tv screens built in that integrate/charge iPod and there is power for the laptop. Food was decent on the plan. No complaints so far.



 First was getting through TSA security without being searched. The TSA people were actually very nice. Second and the most exciting for the trip was when we went through some turbulence. The airplane was in a free fall for several seconds Cups and drinks went flying all over the cabin, people were screaming and kids crying. It was a little scary. It only lasted for a few minutes and back to normal now.  It’s interesting to people watch. I met some really nice people and the plane is 90% Asian. They are friendly but do not talk to me. That takes some getting used to.






Food was decent on the plane,  had a few choices to pick from. We were served both lunch and dinner on the plane. Beef Tenderloin for lunch, and Chicken Teriyaki with rice for dinner.
Very exhausted from the long flight. Fortunately, I had an isle seat to stretch my legs. The Korean man beside me did not talk, nor get out of his seat the entire trip. I would have gone crazy.




Another exciting part of the trip was when I spotted Yoda's Mother...
Lots of exciting things happened today. Finally landed in Korea at 3:40pm. The Korean airport is much cleaner and newer than the American airports. People are friendly and they offer free wifi here!  
So how miserable was the trip? I won't lie, it stunk way too long! and after going through it I am even more scared to death to return with a 4yr old. However, I liken my long flights to that of sitting in the waiting room for hours when Jack was born. :) the Doctor and nurses forgot me but that's a story for another blog. I will be landing in Guangzhou at 11:55pm which is 11:55 lunch time for everyone back in Ohio. I sure do miss Nicki and the kids! But equally excited to meet Camellia on Monday.

Cheers,
-Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Father's Poem

A Father's Poem