Hi, everyone. It's Nicole this time. I haven't heard from Dale yet today. As we start our day here, Dale and Camellia should be settled in for the evening. We had a chance to Skype for a little while last night, with the typical glitchy problems we've experienced every time.
Our agency had counseled us on multiple occasions that this wouldn't be smooth sailing. An orphan has a plethora of issues to work through, one of the hugest ones being grief. She may grieve over the loss of the only life she has even know. Whether it was ideal or not, that is the only life she has known. She may grieve over the loss of her caregivers, her friends at the orphanage, even the loss of biological parents. Orphans have so many feelings of loss that people from healthy homes can never begin to understand.
Well, yesterday the tantrums started...
Dale said that there was one tantrum after another. Camellia would want something that wouldn't be appropriate for her. He would tell her no, so she would scream until she forgot why she was screaming. They would be okay, and then something else would set her off, and the cycle would start all over.
I could tell that even though it was only noon in China, it had already been a rough day for Dale, and it didn't look like things were going to be on the up-swing. We even witnessed a tantrum while Skyping.
We've been told this is normal, but the thought of months of this is somewhat daunting.
Shopping at Shamian Island was on the agenda again yesterday afternoon. I have no idea whether they made it there or not. I do know that the tantrums persisted. I was receiving texts at 1:00-2:00 a.m. asking what the appropriate response would be to the behavior. I felt helpless for my husband and daughter.
Here's a little story about how neat God works. After Dale's post yesterday, a friend of ours, Scott Berens, asked what Mr. Warner's first name was (first picture on yesterday's post - a family from Circleville, OH). Of course I didn't know but indicated that if he looked familiar and the last name would be the same, it was probably the guy he was thinking it was. After some conversation back and forth, we finally deduced that this was, in fact, the guy Scott Berens was thinking it was. It turns out that Scott and his brother Steve were college roommates with Mr. Warner, and he was the best man in our friends' wedding (Steve and Traci Berens). I had a chance to tell Dale last night, and he thought it was so ironic and neat. Thank you, Scott, for your keen observation!
Sorry I'm not as eloquent of a writer as my husband. Hopefully his blog update will come through so you can all enjoy his humor and sensitivity again. What a wonderful man my husband is!
This blog started during the process of adopting our daughter, Camellia, from China. The title comes from many, many months of selling Pandora-style bracelets to help fund her adoption. Camellia came home just before Thanksgiving, on November 18th of 2012. We are now using this site to keep our supporters updated on Camellia's progress, as well as sharing updates on our older three children, Jack, Ian, and Chloe. God has richly blessed our family, and we invite you to look through this window into our lives.
Nicki...this is Tammy your blog post was great I enjoyed reading..I know it will be s trying time for you and your family but we serve san amazing and wonderful god snd he hss brought you and your family this fsr. I remember the dsy Dale told me you wanted to adopt and how happy he was and how it made me and to see happy I am just overwhelmed.. praying for you and the family all the time.
ReplyDelete