This blog started during the process of adopting our daughter, Camellia, from China. The title comes from many, many months of selling Pandora-style bracelets to help fund her adoption. Camellia came home just before Thanksgiving, on November 18th of 2012. We are now using this site to keep our supporters updated on Camellia's progress, as well as sharing updates on our older three children, Jack, Ian, and Chloe. God has richly blessed our family, and we invite you to look through this window into our lives.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Day 13

There is so much to talk about today, but I will try to be brief, as I need to pack to come home! Yes, it is day 13 with Camellia, but day 15 for me in Guangzhou! I am really looking forward to getting home.
Morning:
This morning, we ate a quick breakfast and got all dressed up for some pictures. Camellia did amazing, but it took several attempts to get these pictures, as every time we got close to the waterfall, the noise made her have to go potty (3 trips to the potty and back to get these photos). J 
 


Afternoon:
I had a wonderful afternoon with my friends Sewin, Veronique, and her boyfriend Clark. They live in Shenzhen, which is about a 2.5 hour train ride away.  I also found out about all the wonderful Chinese restaurants that we’ve been missing! I wish they would have come sooner; my food selection would have been much better!
 
 Timid and shy at first, Camellia didn’t really want to talk to anyone, and she was a little intimidated by everyone. Then Sewin came to the rescue. He has a 4 year old little girl of his own, and he really connected with Camellia. She even talked to him! Of course Sewin was generous enough to give her some wonderful age appropriate gifts… stickers and a handbag! Once he gave her those, she liked him! He was even able to get her to eat some new things other than noodles that I’ve been struggling with!  

 
For lunch, we ate at a little place close to the hotel that a friend of Sewin’s recommended.

 
There was a spicy chicken dish that Veronique and Sewin warned me about being hot. I ate some of the chicken and the peppers that were on the plate (pictured far right above). Anyway, they started laughing at me. I asked what was so funny. They said Chinese don’t eat the peppers; we only use them to flavor. They were hot but good! Camellia ate some clam soup, rice, and beef noodles. She really liked the clams.

 
Veronique and Camellia had a wonderful time together. Veronique gave Camellia an Eeyore stuffed animal and took the girl shopping for some girly things that Dad had been missing out on. I was really thankful for all the help today, and we had a great time touring new parts of the city.
 
 
 
After lunch, the group of us hopped in a taxi and headed for shopping at Beijing Lu. It’s a shopping area within the city that was packed with people and shops. This is where the Guangzhou people shop, and it wasn’t as much as a tourist place like the previous shopping areas. When Veronique initially asked me to go there, I was nervous, as I kept hearing Beijing and was thinking I was in for a very long taxi ride. But it was only about a 10 minute ride.

 
 
 

The place was wall to wall people and shops as far as you could see in any direction. We purchased a few things and then headed out to dinner. We had to say goodbye to Sewin, but we met up with Patty, a friend of Veronique, who lives in Guangzhou.  Veronique kept telling me she wanted to take me to her favorite place, but it is really spicy.

 
I’m eating some sort of duck, and yes, it was very spicy but very good! The group was surprised that I could handle something so hot. I was surprised that by the second meal with them I had begun to master chopsticks!!!  Camellia loved the soup! I tried everything they fed her so I would know what she’s used to… so here’s what we ate: going clockwise around the table starting at 12:00. Tofu and fish head soup (Camellia loved this. I ate some; won’t eat it again), boiled cabbage (Camellia spit it out, so I didn’t try), rice, a very spicy mussel or worm or something (there was not English translation for it), but they showed me a picture of it and it looked like a snail (and yes, I ate them).  Next is the hottest dish I’ve had all trip. Duck in some sort of peppers and Thai sauce (very good). Finally was a mushroom and shrimp rice mixture wrapped in eggroll and fried (nasty). It was an enjoyable last meal in Guangzhou. It was sad in a way because Veronique, Patty, and Clark all realized that this was Camellia’s last dinner in China. I was glad she and I got to share it with some friends.

 
Camellia also ate steamed egg. She sat on Patty’s lap and ate 2 bowls of it. It looks like scrambled eggs that are mixed up, poured in a bowl, and steamed (without stirring) until done. Comes out like a pudding. You then put soy sauce on it… Ok I know people think I’m weird, but the fish head in the soup was more appetizing than the egg. I gag a little every time I think about the steamed egg.
 
Veronique and Patty definitely spoiled Camellia tonight. She made them carry her everywhere we went instead of riding in the stroller. She really liked them; the ladies were really sweet, and it was nice seeing her communicate with people. I think it was the most she had talked the whole time I’ve had her.
She even wanted Sewin to hold her for a short while. He even started pointing out Chinese writing and characters to her. He would say them to her, and she would repeat. If you are ever in China and need a babysitter, he’s your guy. He is great with kids, and I’m sure he is a wonderful dad to his little girl.
Speaking of little girls, I got back to the hotel and gave Camellia a bath. As she was finishing up, she stood up in the tub, leaned forward, and kissed me… That was the first kiss that she has ever initiated. It was an awesome way to end the evening.
Well, I am wrapping this up, as I have a ton of packing to do. I have 2 suitcases worth of stuff that I must cram into 1 suit case. I have a feeling someone in Guangzhou will be inheriting some old clothes that are getting left behind.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you and Camellia had a great time..glad you got to see Veronique and Sewin.. Have safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete

A Father's Poem

A Father's Poem