Morning:
One week ago today my journey began and it is not yet half
over. This morning and the entire day proved to be a very challenging day for
me. Camellia was a little tired and
cranky this morning. Perhaps she was cranky as a result of being tricked into
eating a bowl of caramelized onions for dinner (confused? See yesterday’s blog
post). She ate breakfast well,
interacted with Ma Ma, her two ge ge, and me me (finally figured out what
she’s been saying). Someone at the orphanage must have prepared her because she
does call Jack, Ian, and Chloe by the Chinese names for big brother and big
sister. Nevertheless, I am starting to suffer from being homesick. It’s hard
being away from Nicki and the kids for so long, and Skype isn’t the most
cooperative tool, so it’s hit or miss on how well I get to see them.
Afternoon:
We met our guide, Jack, this afternoon and
headed for Shamian Island for some shopping.
Camellia was all smiles to be able to get out of the hotel for a while.
We did some shopping and bought a few things at some of the
stores before finding the playground. It was good to watch her just play and be
a kid for a while.
Many models and people who are getting married come to the
island for their pictures. Scott Berens would have a field day here!
After we were done shopping we ate at the famous Lucy’s
restaurant. The restaurant has all sorts of American food and is decorated to
resemble a diner. I was able to get some onion rings and French fries. Luckily,
the onion rings didn’t resemble noodles, so I didn’t have to share with
Camellia tonight. J
I
can’t put into words how excited Camellia was to have her own pretty little
authentic dress, but I believe this picture can:
Usually when we get back to the room, the first thing she
does is go potty. This evening, the first thing she did was remove her clothes
and chase me around looking for this dress. I put it on her and well, you can
see how happy she was. I’ve found that since she’s been in an orphanage, she
doesn’t know what to do when I give her an option to choose something. For
instance, if I ask her if she likes the pink or the purple dress, she won’t
respond, but if I choose one and give it to her she gets super excited. I asked
my guide about this, and he said that he has noticed this from the children as
well. They go so long without anything that having to choose between two things
is foreign to them. They do much better if you just give them something.
Evening
Camellia is starting to understand English very quickly, and
one word that is safe to say that Camellia understands is bath. She now loves
getting a bath. At first, she didn’t like getting her hair wet, and sitting in
the tub was foreign to her, but now she has so much fun at bath time!
Overall, the day ended well thanks to rereading some
encouraging words from my wife. As Camellia gets more comfortable with me, she
has begun to try and determine boundary lines. Having the right mindset is
making all the difference for these challenges. Psalms 103:13 ESV "As a father
shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who
fear Him."
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment