Morning:
WOW! Hard to believe she’s survived with me for 10 days now.
4 more days to go! We had a pretty relaxing morning. We got up, ate breakfast,
and hung out in the hotel room so we could Skype with Mommy. Camellia learned
to say "I Love You" today. Nicki would say it to her, and she would repeat it
back. This means that in 10 days, I taught my daughter to eat chicken feet and
to say "Thank You." While in 10 minutes on Skype, Nicki has taught her to say,
“Hi,” “Bye Bye,” blow kisses, and say, “I Love You.” I guess we know why she’s
the teacher and I’m not.
Afternoon:
I’ve been doing quite well on my goal of not eating
completely American food while in China. I’ve been avoiding McD’s, Subway, and
Burger King. I’m not a big fan of these places back home in the states, so why
would I want to go there when I’m in China? However, McD’s has ice cream cones
at a remarkable price (.50 cents US). So for lunch today, we picked up some
chicken wings and ice cream. Since it is so hot, we ate the ice cream first and
then returned to the koi pond at the hotel to enjoy our chicken wings. Camellia
loved them and actually ate something other than noodles!
She seemed really tired today, so much so Nicki even noticed
while on Skype. So I laid her down for a nap at 1:30 and she slept until
4:00. Uncle Jack came over, and we
verified we had all the paperwork in order for the consulate visit tomorrow
morning.
Evening:
Tonight was Jillian Muntz’s birthday! Jillian and her sister Melody looked adorable
in their dresses tonight. We went out for dinner with Jillian for her birthday
and also with another couple, Dean and Janice, who are rounding out
their quaint little family of 9 with the adoption of two little boys this week.
We
went back to the infamous Mexican restaurant today where I first learned that
Camellia loved noodles, or caramelized onions that look like noodles. This time
I came prepared. I brought a cup of noodles with me. So she got to enjoy
noodles and I got to enjoy fajitas. While at dinner, Camellia gave Jillian a copy
of the Pleasant Goat and the Big Bad Wolf cartoon. Jillian’s smile is adorable,
and she was pleased with the gift.
After dinner we headed back to the room and relaxed some
more. Camellia was acting different all day today. At bedtime, we did our
normal routine, and she laid down fine, but after about 5 minutes she just started
sobbing and I couldn’t help her. I think she is grieving, and I suspect that
seeing the orphanage yesterday brought back some memories. She cried on and off
for about an hour before finally falling asleep. The more I’m with her, the
more I notice things about her that will take both of us some time to adjust
to. For instance, she doesn’t seem to like other people to touch her, and she
won’t speak when out with a group of people, even other children. However, she
will chat with me all night long if we are alone. She also won’t get down and
play unless we are alone. She seems very insecure and always wants to know
where I’m at.



This was a very nice read .. Love that she is learning English from Nicki via skype....you're a great teacher Nicki. I am saddened that she is still crying but it will take some time and she is coming to the perfect family to help her through the process... Tammy
ReplyDeleteAww, thank you, Tammy. Dale is a great daddy, isn't he?
ReplyDeleteDale is awesome Daddy and you are a great mother!
DeleteHaha..wait until she is home!! She will come out of her shell and won't be insecure at all. Levi was the same way. We have been home 1 week today and each day he blossoms just a little bit more. Yesterday, he was happy, playful, wanting to be down more, and quite social with others!! So fun to watch! You will get Cameilla home and she will become more secure and trusting!!
ReplyDelete